Thursday, January 3, 2013

Festive Set Lunch

It was a mostly nice day on the first of the year here in Glasgow, and I thought I would do some more exploring. I was, unfortunately, hindered in this both by my still somewhat sore feet after all the walking in Edinburgh and by the fact that all the bus lines and the subway were shut down. All of them. No public transport on January 1, at all, anywhere. "But Elizabeth," you ask, "don't public transport workers get the right to a holiday too?" And yes of course they do, I answer, but also no, they don't. At least not all at the same time. Maybe it's my days as a public radio person, where you don't just shut off the transmitter and go for a drink, but I think there are some services that need to stay running no matter what. So since my plan of walking fairly far down the Clyde in the sunshine suddenly meant also walking all the way back in what might turn into rain again at any point, I decided to look for something to eat instead. All the supermarkets I came across were closed as well, however, except for the ones with big sacks of basmati rice in the window and tropical fruits in tiered crates out front; good places to buy ingredients but I didn't feel like cooking, or like hauling back anything to the hostel. But as I got near the bus station downtown I walked by a Thai restaurant that looked and smelled very good.

I opted for their "festive set lunch" option and chose to start with the tom yum hot and sour soup, and had stir-fried rice noodles with seafood and chicken after that. But I could have just stopped with the soup, which was excellent and very filling. My digestive system has still not recovered from the excesses of Christmas. I really, truly, need to resign myself to the fact that I Just. Cannot. Eat. Cheese.

There was a Christmas cracker on the table, but I couldn't figure out how to pull it open to make that snapping sound they're famous for. Fatigue was catching up with me after the early-morning bus ride back from Edinburgh. I tore its belly open and drew out my lucky New Year's gift, a pink oversized plastic paper clip. That will actually be fairly useful. I didn't put on the paper crown. The slip of paper had a joke (What happens when a frog parks illegally? He gets toad.) and a fun fact about how in the UK you say tap and in the US you say faucet. I sipped my soothing cup of green tea and listened to the 80s American pop - seriously, Glasgow, get a new soundtrack - on the sound system, and then decided to be extravagant and give in to my fatigue and get a taxi back up to the top of the hill, and go to bed early. And that was New Year's Day in Glasgow.

1 comment:

  1. 1. They were listening to 80s pop when I lived there in Britain in the 90s, too. Mad for Lionel Richie. It was weird.

    2. Whole country shuts down for Christmas and New Years. Thought I'd go out and do... anything... on Christmas Day. No siree.

    3. The international food in Scotland was a real treat, coming from England. (...but English food is somewhat better now)

    ReplyDelete