Sunday, May 5, 2013

Produits Agricoles Tourangeaux



The plaza was absolutely packed with people at the first farmer's market in May, and everyone was queuing up for fat white stalks of asparagus, jostling in to snag the best heads of lettuce and the sweetest strawberries. I passed on the white asparagus - Pat and I found it quite stringy, though the thicker stalks might be less so, and it gives you superstrong asparagus pee - but I did buy a small container of green asparagus tops. I just missed the last two containers of baby zucchini at another stand, which I regret because I had a lovely mental image of the asparagus and zucchini, steamed, drizzled with a lemon vinaigrette, absolutely photo-ready with the two vegetables the same size. I bought half a dozen slightly larger ones instead. I had to keep reminding myself that I'm leaving Friday morning, so couldn't buy everything, and so left the leeks behind along with the last of the winter root vegetables. A double handful of new potatoes and a big bunch of parsley will turn into a warm mustardy accompaniment for leftover turkey later this week, and tonight the bright green lettuce will become a salad decorated with the first nasturtiums, which are called capucines, which makes me think of the song in this video, which means I'll be giggling through my dinner.


Another gorgeous day today, darn it. I'm tied to the computer and would rather all this sunshine wait until Mom and John get here. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather the rest of May, and sunshine wherever we go!

J-5 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment