Friday, May 31, 2013

NoGlu, Paris



I took my camera to NoGlu on Saturday May 25th, my 49th birthday, and my first - but with luck not my last - birthday celebrated in Paris. How cool is that? How lucky am I? So amazingly privileged to live the life I do that I often can't believe it. And I am so glad that Mom and John are here for a too-brief time to share it with me.

I took the camera so that I could get pictures of me and Mom and John, and of John Wilson and Anne Wilson and their daughter, the musician Siobhan Wilson, whose birthday was the day before and who had flown over from Glasgow to Paris for the weekend. We all had a good time eating and talking and eating some more, and of course I took pictures of the food, but neglected to take any pictures of people. Smoked salmon with guacamole to start, and a spot-on roast duck breast with cauliflower purée, served over braised lentils and topped with a roasted eggplant. I think that was one of the best things I've eaten in France so far, and that's saying a lot.


A rhubarb cake for dessert, and then a walk back out through the Passage des Panoramas and past all of the other people who hadn't started their dinners at the unfashionably early hour of 7:30pm, as we had. 15 minutes on two métro lines and another short walk past even more diners sitting out in their coats under the darkening sky, the haze from their cigarettes veiling their faces, and we were back at the hotel. Yes, I could spend every birthday like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment