Thursday, July 4, 2013

Good Enough

I can't say I am surprised at the fairly low score (13/20 points, "assez bien") I got on my paper and presentation, because the former wasn't very exciting and the latter wasn't very coherent. I still think there are rules of how to write research papers in the French way that I didn't follow, but at this point who cares? It's over and done with. And I have my diploma.

I'll have to care, of course, if I get into the program at Pau, because the research paper or project plus presentation is part of the license requirements there as well, but that's something to worry about later. Much later. Getting over the first hurdle of actually being accepted into the program comes first.

But I have my diploma! And I passed the TCF at the C1 level, one level higher than the requirement for admission to the university, and I'm sending my Portland State diploma off to be translated tomorrow, which is - as far as I know - the last piece of official paper I need in my dossier. Still haven't heard from the program coordinator but I will e-mail her tomorrow to let her know the final documents will be arriving soon, and is there anything else? Please let me know? Hello? Is anybody home?

The French phrase for "is anybody home?" is "il y a quelqu'un?" which is hilariously illustrated in Jean-Paul Belmondo's 1979 film "Flic ou Voyou?" - the second scene in this YouTube video. I highly recommend the movie, by the way. I haven't gone to any movies lately here, though the new Star Trek one is out, and a couple of other Hollywood products plus some interesting-looking independent films. Not sure why I haven't been in the mood. Maybe next week, some afternoon when I've already worked for eight hours and it's almost 90 degrees (which it will be, according to the forecast, all week) and I want to get into the cool dark and let someone else come up with the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment