Monday, July 1, 2013

Poking My Head Out

Some time in the last week or so, since I put up the previous post, Blogger has changed its photo-input format again, apparently. The pictures are REALLY REALLY BIG now. We'll see how this sorts out when I hit the [Publish] button. [UPDATE: The pictures are huge and bleeding under the sidebar and everything. Need to fix this before the post goes live.] I've not been taking pictures of anything interesting, and in fact haven't been doing anything interesting, unless you count the fact that I'm living and working in France, something that still makes me smile when I really stop and think about it. The good news is that I have a lot of freelance work lined up for the next month, so I'll be able to bank a little bit (unless my computer gives up the ghost). The bad news is that means I don't have time for some of the personal projects I wanted to work on, because they also involve being on the computer, and after four or five or six hours of intense wordsmithing for pay, I just don't have the energy to come up with words for free. This morning I'm taking advantage of the fact that I have to leave soon to go to apply for rental assistance, being as how I'm a poor student and all, and so can't start any of my freelance jobs. Well, I suppose I could have done a little bit on something or other, but who knows when I'd next get this combination of sort-of-free time, early rising after a fairly decent night's sleep, and hot coffee? Anyway, I miss you guys. And I didn't want anyone worrying about what is or is not going on here - the last time more than a week went by without a post, my brother thought Mom and John and I had been captured by pirates on the canal or something.

News from school, local or otherwise, you ask? Test results or diplomas received? None of the above, I answer. On my to-do list for this week are telephone calls and/or e-mails to all the people I said I was going to contact before, but haven't. I hate to come across as a pushy American. But this is my last month in Tours, and I would like to at least get everything finalized with the university program here, no matter what's going on with the people in Pau.

Anyway, that's about it. Working, walking the dog down to and around the lake and back when it's not too hot, eating local cherries and Grandma's cucumber salad (though I didn't make the slices paper-thin) and cold boiled potatoes when it is too hot. I bought a ten-visit pass to the pool, so I will swim this month, and I've started going through all of the accumulated crap in my room to sort out what needs to go with me and what needs to go, period. I have added a piece of luggage in the form of a waterproof stuff sack for my bedding, and am realizing that I will have to get rid of some clothes so that I can fit in all the computer peripherals that I shipped over to myself previously because there wasn't room in my suitcases. So now I must make room, divest myself of more possessions, and travel even more lightly than I did on the way over here. Because hoisting heavy suitcases up the stairs into the train is no picnic, let me tell you.

Speaking of picnics, I'd better go get some breakfast (cold boiled potatoes) so that I have the energy to deal with the French administration this morning. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens this week. Bisous ciao!

1 comment: