Thursday, February 19, 2015

Year Of The Caprinae

Gyúró, Hungary, February 19, 2015

Opinions are divided as to whether this will be a good year for me. Some websites (and if it's on the internet, it must be true - even more so when you're looking at astrology websites) say that this will be an average year, while others warn that strong (yang) wood dragons, as I am, need to watch out for trouble. One source warns me about the negative energies that come from rolling up my tongue (卷舌 = li juan she) but since this is something I have never been able to do, I'm not too worried about that. On the whole, however, it appears that my path through the next twelve months will be fairly smooth.

Vén kecske is megnyalja a sót.
(Even the old goat will lick the salt.)
- Hungarian proverb

It's looking good for my romantic life, as well, the experts agree. I'll have lots of friends, and more chances to find love this year. If I come across a man who also wants to make a career (in quotes) of wandering the world working and writing, I'll have even more good luck, according to one website that recommends I find a business partner of the opposite sex to maximize my fortune. I'm only 50; it's not too late for romance or a career, right? Rats, tigers, and snakes are my best match for love, apparently, though I think I'd rather go for someone who's simply compatible: a rooster (of course), or a monkey. Pigs are my good friends, et j'ai trouvé que c'est bien vrai l'année dernière, chez les Bergeras. Whether with a partner or not, I need to work hard to make money. Whew! It's a good thing I read that horoscope or I'd be lolling about every day, reading silly books. I haven't had much time to read lately, with 12- or 16-hour cheesemaking marathons on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays; more cheesemaking and then at least 4 hours of computer work on Thursdays; 6-7 hours of computer work on Fridays and Saturdays if I can stand to sit and type for that long; and blogging the week on Sundays. Thanks to the Multnomah County Library's online book system, I did read the third installment of Brent Weeks' "Lightbringer" series and am looking forward to the fourth book in the trilogy, but mostly I just fall asleep at the end of the day.

Revenons à nos moutons.
(Let us get back to our sheep.)
- French saying

Saint-Pée d'Oloron, France, June 12, 2014

A woman named Susan Levitt thinks that while this year should be pleasant, next year is going to be awesome for me, in my lucky monkey year. And if I don't find a partner this year, perhaps I will in 2016. "Dragons tend to marry later in life, if at all," she says, "since they are unwilling to to let go of adventures and dreams to live within the confines of an ordinary domestic life." This is true. This is how I like it, this life, at least now that I'm in one place for a longer period of time. Hauling bags around - on and off trains, up and down stairs and escalators, in and out of taxis and car boots - has worn very thin as entertainment. I think when I am eyeing prospective partners, I'll rate them by luggage-carrying capacity.

I am here with thee and thy goats, as the most capricious poet, honest Ovid, was among the Goths.
- Touchstone, in "As You Like It" (Act III, Scene III)
I bless the twist of fate that brought me here, and the continuing good luck I am having finding wonderful friendly compatible people to live and work with. I've updated my CV (now with more cheese!) and will be sending it off into the world, specifically to Oregon, and even more specifically to Portland, where there are several people who make cheese in the city. If I can't find a farm situation, I at least need to be somewhere with good public transit.
And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. (Proverbs 27:27)
And I think I need to be with people, and not by myself; the alone me falls into bad moods and worse habits. I don't mind being alone, per se, and definitely need my private time and space on a regular basis, but it's looking as if I am a happier and healthier person when I am interacting with people daily. I never noticed this before, because I always (well, almost always) had a job, and mostly it was a relief to get home to silence. Silent except for the cats, that is. But the six months of housesitting has shown me that I should plan for a future in company. And I do hope it will be the company of cheesemakers, and their goats and sheep.
Séchilienne, France, August 18, 2013 Xīn Nián Kuài Lè!

Where it all began: Logsden, Oregon, November 28, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment