Saturday, March 21, 2015

Onward To The Next Adventure

At the entrance to the Merchant Adventurer's Hall, which has been standing in the center of York, England since the middle of the 14th century, there's an 1850 painted carving of the society's coat of arms that reads "God grant us good fortune." Modern French (and modern English) now use the definition of "adventure" rather than "fortune," but I like to think of those long-ago voyagers as asking for something interesting, something new, something unexpected and wonderful. That's what I hope for, on my adventures, and I'm always finding it - though sometimes I have to look more carefully than usual.

My stay in Hungary has been interesting and wonderful, with only a small semi-unexpected glitch in the form of surgery, from which I believe I'm now fully recovered, thanks, except for not really wanting to lift heavy things and getting tired more quickly than normal. I'll ask the bus driver to load and unload my bags tomorrow, and a nice man named Srdjan is going to meet me at the bus station in Niš to help me get them to the hostel. As my six weeks there will be largely devoted to earning money through writing, I am not sure how many opportunities I'll have to look for adventure, but I'm sure it will find me just the same. Simply being in another country - Serbia! I never thought I'd end up in Serbia - is adventure enough, not to mention the fact that I'll be dealing with an entirely new alphabet. Of course, since I don't speak Serbian, which alphabet they use is irrelevant, at least to me.

A new language! New food and drink to taste and enjoy! New people to meet and friends to make! New parks to walk in, and new trams to hop on and off, and new sights to see! And six weeks to do it in, too, although given how quickly these weeks in Hungary have gone by, I'm sure it won't be long enough. But long or short, it starts today. Onward to the next adventure!

"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting to-day?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.
"It's the same thing," he said.
          - from "Winnie-the-Pooh" by A. A. Milne (1926)

No comments:

Post a Comment